CT DMV CDL Permit Test 2023 (All Endorsements – UPDATED): Try our free Connecticut Commercial Driver License Permit Practice Test Questions and answers. To drive a commercial motor vehicle in Connecticut, you need to get a commercial learner’s permit (CLP) and then get a CDL. You may also need to take the air brakes, combination, passenger endorsement, and/or school bus endorsement tests if those apply to the type of CDL you need.
To get a commercial driver’s license (CDL) in Connecticut, you first need to get a commercial learner’s permit (CLP) and pass the skills test. Your CLP is good for one year. If you don’t get a CDL in that year, you need to retake and pass all the required tests to get a new permit.
CT DMV CDL Permit Test 2023
Connecticut CDL Endorsements Practice Test
In Connecticut an endorsement allows a commercial driver to operate specific types of motor vehicles. Each endorsement test requires a knowledge test. Some endorsements may require a road skills test.
To get a CDL or CLP, you must pass knowledge and skills tests. You will have to take one or more knowledge tests, depending on what class of license and what endorsements you need. The CDL knowledge tests include:
- A. The common general knowledge test, taken by all applicants.
- B. Endorsements Test
- The passenger transport test is taken by all bus driver applicants.
- The air brakes test, which you must take if your vehicle has air brakes, includes air over hydraulic brakes.
- The combination vehicles test is required if you want to drive combination vehicles.
- The hazardous materials test, is required if you want to haul hazardous materials as defined in 49 CFR 383.5.
- The tank vehicle test,
- The doubles/triples test,
- The School Bus test is required )
- General knowledge: $16
- Air brakes: $5
- Combination: $5
- All other endorsements: $5 per endorsement requested
- Skills test: $30 paid when the application is submitted
Fees for CDL
|General knowledge test||$16|
|Endorsement tests (each)||$5|
|Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP)|
|Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)|
|Renewal||$70 (four-year renewal)|
|Renewal late fee||$25|
A. Connecticut CDL General Knowledge Test
You are required to take and pass a general knowledge test depending on the type of commercial motor vehicle you intend to operate. The general knowledge test consists of 50 questions (40 correct answers represent a passing score). Once you pass the required knowledge tests, you are required to pay a $20 fee for the issuance of the commercial learner’s permit.
CDL application age requirements
You need to meet the following age requirements based on the type of CDL you need:
- Be at least age 18
- Be at least age 21 to haul hazardous material
- Be at least age 21 to drive interstate
B. Connecticut Endorsements Tests
If you want to have additional endorsements added to your license, you are required to pass a test for each endorsement you apply for. This can be done when taking the CDL Permit Test.
- Passenger (P);
- School bus (S);
- Tank vehicle (N).
- Double and Triple Trailers (T).
- Passengers (P).
- Hazardous Materials (H).
- Combination Hazardous Materials and Tank Vehicle (X).
- School Buses (S).
Testing for endorsements:
- The hazardous materials endorsement test has 30 questions (need 24 correct to pass).
- The air brakes endorsement test has 25 questions (need 20 correct to pass).
- The combination vehicle, school bus, passenger, tanker, and doubles and triples endorsement tests have 20 questions (need 16 correct to pass).
Resources and Handbook
For information on adding a Commercial Driver’s License OR CDL Endorsement, please obtain an Operator’s Handbook from any driver’s license office.
- CDL classifications, endorsements, and restrictions
- Get a commercial driver’s license
- Get a commercial learner’s permit
- Download the Connecticut driver’s manual