Connecticut DMV Permit Practice Test 2023 [UPDATED] with new rules. Try our free CT Department of Motor Vehicles Driving licenses practice questions and answers. In addition, you can download printable PDFs for the Connecticut DMV written knowledge test.
The first step for new drivers to get a Connecticut driver’s license is to apply for a learner’s permit. Once you’re issued a learner’s permit, you can begin practicing behind the wheel. Residents age 16 and older can apply for a learner’s permit. Adult learner’s permits are available for adults age 18 and older.
Connecticut DMV Permit Practice Test 2023
CT Learner’s Permit:
A learner’s permit is required before you begin practicing driving. A permit holder must carry a learner’s permit whenever he or she is operating a vehicle.
To obtain a learner’s permit:
- You must be at least 16 years of age.
- You must pass both a vision and a 25-question knowledge test.
The permit will be valid until you obtain a driver’s license or 2 years from the date it is issued (whichever comes first).
1. Drivers (Age 16 and 17)
- Pass a vision test and a 25-question written knowledge test to get your permit. If you fail the vision test, you can’t proceed to the knowledge test and will need to reschedule.
2. Adult learner’s permit
- Have held your adult learner’s permit for at least 90 days Pass a vision and 25-question knowledge test. Take an eight-hour Safe Driving Practices Course. If you fail the vision test, you won’t be able to take the knowledge test. If you fail either the vision or knowledge test, you need to reschedule the tests online and pay the fees again.
3. Drive-only license (for undocumented residents)
- The driver-only license is designed specifically for undocumented individuals who are 16 years of age or older and unable to establish a lawful presence in the United States.
4. Commercial learner’s permit
- To get a commercial driver’s license (CDL) in Connecticut, you first need to get a commercial learner’s permit (CLP) and pass the skills test. Your CLP is good for one year. If you don’t get a CDL in that year, you need to retake and pass all the required tests to get a new permit.
5. Motorcycle learner’s permit
- A motorcycle learner’s permit allows you to drive a motorcycle with restrictions to help you gain experience on the road. The permit allows you to drive a motorcycle without a specific motorcycle endorsement for 60 days, and a motorcycle learner’s permit can be renewed once during the same calendar year.
- Testing fee: $40 (paid online when making an appointment)
- Learner’s permit fee: $19 (paid online when making the appointment)
- Drive-only license fee: $36 for a three-year license (paid separately)
CT DMV Written Knowledge Test 2023
You will need to pass a written knowledge test, based on the Connecticut driver’s manual, as well as a vision test to get a learner’s permit. The knowledge test consists of 25 questions and you need 20 correct answers to pass. You must pass a knowledge test before you receive your learner’s permit.
|Test Name||CT DMV Knowledge Test|
|Administered By||CT Department of Motor Vehicles|
|Purpose||To get a learner’s permit|
|Total Questions||25 questions|
|Question Type||Multiple Choice|
|Passing Score||You must correct 20 answers to pass|
|Time Limit||Not timed|
Learner’s permit written test in the following languages:
A non-commercial driver’s license is known and designated as Class D. Unless restrictions appear on the license, a Class D license may be used to operate any motor vehicle except a commercial motor vehicle.
CT DMV Official Permit Test with Study Guide
The test is based on the information contained in this manual. Sample tests are available on the DMV mobile app. The Connecticut DMV manual provides information needed to drive a passenger vehicle. A non-commercial driver’s license is known and designated as Class D. Unless restrictions appear on the license, a Class D license may be used to operate any motor vehicle except a commercial motor vehicle.
- Download the Connecticut driver’s manual
- Download the Connecticut DMV mobile app for practice knowledge test questions.
- How can I get a learner’s permit?