Colorado CDL Permit Practice Test 2023 with Endorsement test and Handbook [PDF]: You can try our free Colorado CDL Driving Knowledge Test, in addition, there are various CO CDL Endorsements practice tests. In Colorado, any commercial motor vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or heavier is required a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
You must be at least 18 years of age to apply for a CDL Instruction Permit or to receive a CDL. Drivers 18 through 20 years of age will be issued the “K” restriction to operate a CDL vehicle within the boundaries of Colorado.
Colorado CDL Permit Practice Test
Colorado Commercial Learner’s Permits (CLP) are valid for 180 days and are eligible for one renewal, which is also valid for 180 days. Please note: The results of the Colorado written CDL test are only valid for one year. If the results of your written test are over one year old, you will need to retake the written test, even if your CLP is valid. CLPs must be held for 14 calendar days before the CDL skills test can be taken.
Colorado CDL Endorsements Practice Test
In Colorado an endorsement allows a commercial driver to operate specific types of motor vehicles. Each endorsement test requires a knowledge test. Some endorsements may require a road skills test.
Colorado CDL Written Test
To get a CDL or CLP, you must pass knowledge and skills tests. You will have to take one or more knowledge tests, depending on what class of license and what endorsements you need. The CDL knowledge tests include:
- A. The common general knowledge test, taken by all applicants.
- B. Endorsements Test (
- The passenger transport test is taken by all bus driver applicants.
- The air brakes test, which you must take if your vehicle has air brakes, includes air over hydraulic brakes.
- The combination vehicles test is required if you want to drive combination vehicles.
- The hazardous materials test, is required if you want to haul hazardous materials as defined in 49 CFR 383.5.
- The tank vehicle test,
- The doubles/triples test,
- The School Bus test is required )
If you pass the required knowledge test(s), you can take the CDL skills test when you are eligible. The CDL Skills Test consists of three segments: Vehicle Inspection, Basic Vehicle Control, and On-road driving. You
- Class A Combination Vehicles
- Class B Heavy Straight Vehicles
- Class C Small Vehicles.
All commercial drivers who drive certain types of vehicles or haul certain types of cargo must add endorsements to their CDL license and/or Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) to show that they have the specialized knowledge required for these operations. There are six kinds of CDL endorsements that may be required, depending on the vehicle or type of cargo.
- Passenger (P);
- School bus (S);
- Tank vehicle (N).
- Double and Triple Trailers (T).
- Passengers (P).
- Hazardous Materials (H).
- Combination Hazardous Materials and Tank Vehicle (X).
- School Buses (S).
Resources and Handbook
For information on adding a Commercial Driver’s License OR CDL Endorsement, please obtain an Operator’s Handbook from any driver’s license office or from Colorado.gov/DMV.
- Fees: https://dmv.colorado.gov/state-dmv-fees
- Driver’s Handbook: https://dmv.colorado.gov/sites/dmv/files/DR2337.pdf
- CDL Handbook: Commercial Driver License Manual
- Other Resources: https://www.codot.gov/
- Driver’s Infor Home Page: https://dmv.colorado.gov/drivereducation