CDL School Bus Endorsement Study Guide [PDF]: Free Download for Commercial Driver’s License Permit Test (CDL) School Bus Endorsements in the USA, UK, and Canada. This study guide would help your upcoming CDL Permit test 2023 written exam.
School Bus Endorsement Test is required for drivers operating school buses to transport students to or from school and for school-sponsored events. (Note: A passenger endorsement is also required for a school bus endorsement to be valid.)
NOTE: This page does NOT provide information on all the federal and state requirements needed before you drive a school bus. You should be thoroughly familiar with all specific school bus procedures, laws and regulations in your state and local school district.
CDL School Bus Endorsement
You should be thoroughly familiar with your state and local school district laws and regulations. A CLP holder with a passenger (P) and/or a school bus (S) endorsement is prohibited from operating a CMV with passengers, other than federal/ state auditors and inspectors, test examiners, other trainees, and the accompanying CDL holder (CFR, Title 49 §383.25).
School bus drivers must have a school bus endorsement in addition to a passenger endorsement on their commercial driver’s license (CDL). To get the school bus endorsement, you must pass a knowledge test. (If your school bus has air brakes, you must also pass a knowledge test.) You must also pass the skills test required for the class of school bus you drive or intend to drive.
Applicants for a school bus “S” endorsement must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a valid local driver’s license of the appropriate class.
- Present either a valid federal medical card or a completed Medical Examination
- Have no conviction for any offence on the list of school bus disqualifications.
- Pass knowledge, road signs, vision, and skills tests.
Steps to attain CDL with P (Passenger) and S (School bus) Endorsements
- 1. Attain the CDL Manual at your local MVC or online
- 2. Present 6 Points of ID and register for/receive the test specific for School Bus Drivers with P and S endorsements
- 3. Go to Driving Test Center for knowledge and vision exams
- 4. Present Valid Test Receipt, CDL Holder Self-Certification Form, and a valid Medical Examiner’s Certificate (if required) to MVC for Commercial Learners Permit
- 5. 20 Days of practice while accompanied by another CDL-licensed person
- 6. 14 Days after passing the Knowledge test you can register for the Road test
- 7. Take permit and authorization slip to MVA to obtain a license
Maintaining School Bus Endorsement
In order to maintain a school bus endorsement, every four years, a school bus driver must:
- Complete a minimum of 10 hours of refresher training, which includes at least 7 hours of classroom training and at least 3 hours of in-bus training.
- Pass the School Bus Knowledge Test.
- Pass a Road Test in a school bus.
The physical examination consists of:
- 1. A vision screening and a check for hearing loss.
- 2. A check for physical impairment(s).
- 3. A semi-annual test for drivers with diabetes mellitus.
- 4. An annual stress test for drivers with cardiovascular conditions.
- 5. A check for uncontrolled hypertension and respiratory dysfunction.
- 6. A check for rheumatic, arthritic, orthopedic, muscular, neuromuscular, or vascular disease.
- 7. A check for seizure disorder(s).
- 8. A check for drug or alcohol abuse.
- 9. A check for a mental, emotional, or psychiatric disorder(s).
- 10. A check for tuberculosis in a transmittable stage.
- 11. A check for any other condition likely to impair the ability to drive a school bus safely.
CDL Road Test
All CDL Applicants are required to take the CDL road test. You can schedule an appointment for a CDL road test 14 days after you successfully complete the knowledge test. Appointments are scheduled at any DTC. A safety specialist will ride with you and judge you on three parts:
CDL School Bus Endorsement Study Guide [PDF]
Driver Training Information
- School Bus Driver Training Class Schedule (PDF 288 KB)
- School Bus Driver On-Line In-Service Training (Moodle)
- School Bus Evacuation Manual PDF 433 KB